DESIGNING A KITCHEN FOR SMALLER HOMES
PROVEN TIPS TO DESIGN KITCHENS FOR SMALLER HOMES
SMART SOLUTIONS FROM EXPERIENCED REMODELING CONTRACTORS
You might have a small, cozy kitchen, but you can make the most of it. Knowing how to maximize your counter space and storage area with a stylish, space-saving design can be useful. With smart planning and a few creative ideas, the heart of your home can be attractive and functional. Before you begin remodeling, read these expert tips on designing a kitchen for smaller homes.
SMALL KITCHEN DESIGN IDEAS
Creating the right layout with stylish features and fixtures requires a fine balance of function and aesthetics. Here are some ideas to make your small kitchen feel big, bright and beautiful.
- Prioritize your wish list: With space at a premium, it may not be possible to have everything you desire in your kitchen. It helps to prioritize what you really want now, over the bells and whistles you can upgrade to in the future.
- Revise the floor plan: Knocking down a wall or two can give you more room. Consider an open-concept kitchen that expands into the dining area or even your living room. Do you really need that laundry room? How about installing a stacked washer and dryer into an unused corner? Tightening up the kitchen triangle. (the space between the stove, sink and refrigerator) can also add space. If possible, install a corner sink and expand counter space on either side. Check your doors; replacing a swing out door with a pocket door might allow you to reclaim some square footage.
- Ditch the island: It takes up a lot of room and is not always as useful as we think it is. To use your counters as working and eating areas, extend the countertop outward a little and be creative with seating. Use folding stools or chairs that can be stacked away when not in use.
- Consider floor to ceiling cabinetry: It will give you more shelving and storage space. Add glass doors to give the room an open feel. Make use of cabinet doors by installing hooks or racks to store pans, lids, cooking and measuring spoons, foil, plastic wrap, etc. Store utensils by type so that they are easy to find. Mugs and cups take up a lot of space; use hooks under open shelving to hang them.
- Use smaller appliances: They save space and will also not seem out of proportion. Combination appliances like a convection microwave oven can eliminate the need for separate appliances. An induction cook top is also a good idea as it functions as both a stove and counter area.
- Choose light colors: Dark walls and cabinets make a space look smaller, but lighter tones will make it appear bigger. Greys and whites are popular wall color choices. If you want to add a pop of color, choose a single wall or ceiling for a bold shade. If you simply love dark cabinets, balance them with a lighter backsplash. Use under cabinet lighting to brighten up the work space.
- Invest in different types of lighting: This will make your kitchen look spacious. Pendant lights on a track system, LED strip lights for shelving and a chandelier scaled to your space can transform the look of your kitchen. If you have a low ceiling, decorative flushmount fixtures can give it a stylish appearance.
- Opt for larger floor tiles: Small tiles add more grout lines and tend to make the room look crowded.
HIRE SANTA CLARA VALLEY’S KITCHEN SPECIALISTS FOR A SUCCESSFUL REMODEL
At California Bathroom & Kitchen Remodelers, we offer comprehensive design and installation services to create attractive, functional spaces. Our creative ideas and outstanding craftsmanship enhance the appeal and value of your home. Committed to quality and your complete satisfaction, we work hard to complete your small kitchen redesign within the agreed timeline and budget.
ince 1994, we have served homeowners across the Santa Clara Valley, including in Willow Glen, San Jose, Almaden, Cambrian, Santa Clara, Los Gatos and Los Altos Hills, CA. Read these testimonials from our happy customers.
Call CBKR, your bathroom remodeling design and construction contractor at 408-360-9700 or contact us online to schedule an in-home consultation. We can discuss more ideas for designing a kitchen for smaller homes.