Skip to main content

Bathroom & Kitchen Remodeling Serving Santa Clara Valley • 408.360.9700

Bathroom & Kitchen Remodeling Serving Santa Clara Valley • 408.360.9700

Frequently Asked Questions

Learn More About CABR

Q: Does a contractor have to tell you whether he or she carries Commercial General Liability Insurance?
A: Home improvement contractors are required by law to tell you whether or not they carry Commercial General Liability Insurance. This written statement must accompany the bid, if there is one, and the contract.

Q: Is liability insurance required?
A: NO. But the Contractors State License Board strongly recommends that all contractors carry it.

Q: How can I make sure the contractor is insured?
A: If he or she is insured, your contractor is required to provide you with the name and telephone number of the insurance company. Check with the insurance company to verify the contractor is currently covered.

Q: How do I check the status of a contractor’s license?
A: Contact the CSLB at 1-800-321-CSLB or visit their web site at

Q: Is it necessary request references from my contractor?
A: Yes, ask to see at least three local references from any contractor you are considering hiring.

Q: Will the contractor get a permit before the work starts?
A: Some contractors require the homeowner to do the leg work, but California Bathroom & Kitchen Remodelers, Inc. will do it for you.

Q: What should I look for in a contract?
A: The contract must tell you when the work will commence and when it will end. It also must include a detailed description of the work to be done, the materials to be used, and equipment to be installed.

Q: Am I required to pay a down payment?
A: If you are, the down payment should never be more than 10% of the contract price or $1,000, whichever is less.

Q: Should I get my changes or additions to my contract in writing?
A: Yes, Putting changes in writing reduces the possibility of a later dispute.

*information was provided by CSLB