Practical Design Ideas with Creative Style
There are plenty of ways to make your cozy kitchen look spacious and stylish. The overall layout, choice of materials, lighting and color scheme, all play important roles in enhancing the size, function and feel of this much-loved space in your home. Our experienced team has worked with customers across Santa Clara Valley and is happy to share some valuable tips to make your small kitchen remodeling project a guaranteed success.
Small Kitchen Design Tips
- Balance design and function: Irrespective of your room size, the traditional rule of the kitchen triangle (sink, stove and refrigerator in a triangular layout) still applies. Being a high-traffic and functional area, it is better to allow space for an efficient work flow. A U-shaped layout is ideal but will depend on how much room you have. A line or ‘Pullman’ kitchen which runs along a single wall or a galley using parallel walls, is better suited for studios and condos or homes where space is very limited.
- Choose the right materials: One of the simplest ways to make your kitchen look big and swanky is to install glass cabinet doors and tabletops, a tiled backsplash and doors to other rooms. This can help achieve an airy and spacious feel. Tip: Splurge on your backsplash to give your small kitchen the wow factor! Shiny glass mosaic or metallic tiles will add an element of urban chic.
- Select light colors: White or lighter shades for walls, flooring, ceilings and backsplashes reflect light and make the wall perimeter recede, instantly creating a feeling of more space. If you want a splash of color, opt for a soft blue, hint of yellow or light grey. Choose large floor tiles; small ones with too many grout lines can give the kitchen a cramped appearance.
- Buy smaller appliances: Compact appliances have become very popular over the years as they allow practical use of space. Slim-line refrigerators, a microwave drawer, modular cooktop, cabinet size dishwasher and smaller sink give you more counter space for food preparation and serving areas. Avoid free-standing cabinetry or large furniture.
- Be smart about storage: Floor to ceiling cabinets optimize storage space. Consider adding a nesting table to your cabinets or shelving under the island countertop for more room. A shelf or cabinet above your refrigerator and using your window sill to keep things can squeeze a little extra out of your kitchen.
Hire Santa Clara’s Top Bathroom and Kitchen Remodeling Company
At California Bathroom & Kitchen Remodelers, we are passionate about creating rooms you will enjoy for years to come. Whether it is a simple renovation or a complete remodel, you can count on us to give you a kitchen makeover you and your family will love. We work closely with you to plan the best use of your space and match your lifestyle needs. Read these testimonials from some of our happy customers.
Since 1994, we have served a growing roster of homeowners in the Santa Clara Valley including in Willow Glen, San Jose, Almaden, Cambrian, Santa Clara, Los Gatos, Los Altos Hills, CA with exceptional workmanship and customer service.