Ideas for a Safe and Slip Proof Bathroom
USEFUL IDEAS FOR A SAFE AND SLIP-PROOF BATHROOM
Address Bathroom Safety Issues in the Design with Simple Solutions
You’re redesigning or fall-proofing your bathroom and want to incorporate safety features that will help prevent slips and falls. You love the glossy floors that are non-porous and easy to clean but want to prevent water puddling. You want to avoid slick surfaces underfoot, and treacherous shower or tub surfaces that can send you skittering to a hard stop. You need the best ideas for a safe and slip-proof bathroom.
The experienced team at California Bathroom and Kitchen Remodelers has put together these design and upgrade tips to help you. Make your bathroom a safe place to refresh and relax without slippery surfaces and obstacles that cause accidents and injuries.
Consider Who is Most at Risk of Falling in Your Home
If you have older or disabled family members, you may want to work with a bathroom remodeling team familiar with ADA requirements. ADA recommends handrails, seats in the shower, and other suggestions to keep older adults safer in the bathroom. Children are also prone to trips, slips and falls. Clumsy roommates or family members may have a hard time staying on their feet in the best of circumstances. So, let’s just say that a safe and slip-proof bathroom benefits everyone!
How to Make Bathroom Floors Safer
Gain traction with slip-resistant bathmats, grab bars, and textured flooring:
- Bathmat for safety: Choose bathmats with slick proof backing inside and outside your bath or shower.
- Smaller tiles with grout lines: Smaller tiles with grout lines give your feet a better grip to help prevent slips and falls.
- Textured flooring: Smooth, shiny floors are aesthetically pleasing but risky in your bathroom. Consider options such as textured concrete or look for luxury vinyl plank or tile that has anti-slip protection or wood-grain embossing. It won’t be as smooth as ceramic or porcelain, but an uneven texture is a safer option for bathroom flooring.
Find more ideas for making your bathroom ADA compliant here.
Design Ideas for a Slip-Resistant Bathroom
Some ideas for a safe and slip-proof bathroom may require a remodel. Our bathroom remodelers can help with these and other design elements:
- Walk-in tubs are ideal so that bathers can safely and comfortably enter and exit.
- Curb less showers have no raised threshold, and this helps avoid tripping while going in and out of the shower.
- Built-in shower seats provide a comfortable and safe shower experience. Let us help you find a seating option that fits your space and matches your bathroom design.
- Slip-resistant flooring such as tiles with a matte finish or textured vinyl tiles can prevent slips and falls due to water puddling.
- Grab bars for support. It only takes one second for an older adult or younger person to lose focus and slip in the shower. Without grab bars, the fall can be nasty. Install grab bars in the bathtub and shower.
Contact us today to get more ideas for a safe and slip-proof bathroom. We proudly serve residents in San Jose, Willow Glen, Almaden, Los Gatos, and Cambrian. We also welcome your calls at 408-360-9700—schedule a free consultation!