KITCHEN REMODELING FOR LARGER FAMILIES
HOW TO GO ABOUT KITCHEN REMODELING FOR LARGER FAMILIES
EXPERT ADVICE FROM TRUSTED RENOVATION CONTRACTORS
Renovating the heart of your home? Whether you have a family with little ones, teens, adults, seniors or pets, you want a chic, modern, multifunctional space that accommodates everyone’s needs. Check out our creative kitchen remodeling tips for larger families.
IMPORTANT CONSIDERATIONS FOR DESIGNING A FAMILY KITCHEN
List your needs: Before browsing through designs, determine how you will use the space. Think about whether your kids do homework in the kitchen. Is this where the family has dinner together? Are you planning to entertain here? Do your pets sleep in the kitchen? The answers to these questions will help you come up with a suitable renovation plan. If you have older family members or a loved one with disabilities, selecting an accessible design is critical to their comfort and safety.
- Choose a simple layout: Having many people in the kitchen at the same time means they need plenty of room to get around, especially the little ones, seniors and any family members with disabilities. Ensure that your kitchen has a simple layout and plenty of walking space so that family members will not be bumping into each other or the furniture. If you have the square footage and need to accommodate multiple cooks, consider two work triangles.
- Include an island: It gives you more work space and can double up as an eating area too. Consider extending one section like a table (with chairs or stools) to accommodate family meals or kids’ homework and crafts rather than the traditional model with storage. This eliminates the need for a separate dining table, saves space and looks more stylish.
- Plan for plenty of storage: You can never have enough storage in a kitchen. Appliances, gadgets and utensils aside, you should also plan for drawers or open shelving for knickknacks like homework items, a few books, craft basket and the daily mail. A combination of pull-out drawers, cabinets and open shelving for small appliances, plants or displaying family heirlooms and souvenirs is ideal.Consider installing hooks for hanging pans and mugs. They will take up less space than stacking them in drawers or a cabinet. Design storage for convenience so that items you use frequently are within easy reach. Put items you rarely need at the top of the pantry or upper cabinets. The idea is to keep your counters free for preparing food or working and just a few display items on top. Add a chalk or magnetic board where you can leave reminder notes for each other, a shopping list, instructions or interesting reads.
- Select low maintenance materials: Heat, scratch and stain resistant countertops last longer and are easier to clean. Granite is popular, but Corian, quartz and stainless steel are equally good choices. These materials are suitable for the backsplash too. Choose flooring you can mop easily and has no or few grout lines. Natural stone, ceramic and laminate flooring is easier to maintain than hardwood. Ask your kitchen designer about your options. There are many budget friendly choices available, but don’t compromise on quality.
- Open it up: Merging your kitchen with an adjacent family or dining room gives you more space. It’s also more convenient for everyone to hang out together. You can catch the news or your favorite television show while cooking
CALL SANTA CLARA VALLEY’S KITCHEN EXPERTS FOR A SATISFYING REMODEL
At California Bathroom & Kitchen Remodelers, we love designing and installing luxurious spaces for your family. Our creative ideas and quality craftsmanship enhance the value of your home. We are committed to securing your complete satisfaction.
Since 1994, we have served homeowners across the Santa Clara Valley, including in Willow Glen, San Jose, Almaden, Cambrian, Santa Clara, Los Gatos and Los Altos Hills, CA. Read these testimonials from our customers who truly appreciate the quality of our work and customer service.
Call CBKR, your bathroom remodeling design and construction contractor at 408-360-9700 or contact us online to schedule an in-home consultation. We can discuss more ideas for kitchen remodeling for larger families.